You are from the Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy or another neighbouring country and want to know how to insure your car properly in Austria? Are you moving to Austria and wondering what to look out for when choosing your car insurance? No problem: We’ll tell you what coverage you as a motorist*need in Austria and what insurance options are available.


You can take out three different car insurance policies in Austria: Third party liability, partial coverage and fully comprehensive coverage. While motor vehicle liability is prescribed by law for everyone, partial coverage and fully comprehensive insurance are voluntary insurance offers. These are the differences:


Motor vehicle liability („Haftpflicht“): legally prescribed must have

If you want to travel on Austria’s roads, you must have taken out liability insurance beforehand. This covers damage you cause to others. This can include property damage and personal injury – for example damage to other people’s cars, signs, houses or gardens as well as physical injuries sustained by the person opposite you**. Important: Your own car is not insured. This means if you cause an accident in which you are also damaged, you must bear the costs yourself. Do you also want to insure your own car? Then the partial or fully comprehensive insurance is just right for you.

By the way, you can take out motor vehicle liability insurance directly via nexible*: Property damage, financial loss and personal injury to injured third parties are just as much a part of the package as rental car protection for abroad. You can pay monthly at no extra charge and cancel flexibly each month. In the following we will explain how it works.


Partial coverage insurance („Teilkasko“): additional cover in the event of burglary and hail damage

The partial coverage insurance includes all advantages of liability and additional insurance cover for you. We recommend partial coverage if you do not need 100% cover – for example, when you are travelling with a used car or an older car. The partial coverage insurance covers for instance, if your car has been broken into, hail damage or you have collided with an animal. In the event of vandalism and accidents for which you are responsible, partial cover is generally not liable**. The exact conditions and tariffs can be obtained directly from the respective insurer. At nexible, we currently do not offer partial coverage insurance.

If this partial coverage is not sufficient for you, you should upgrade to a fully comprehensive insurance.


Fully comprehensive insurance („Vollkasko“): the complete cover

In the fully comprehensive package, all liability and partial cover benefits are already automatically included. That’s why we recommend fully comprehensive cover especially if you want to insure your car as best as possible. For instance, if it’s a new car, a very well-maintained vehicle of high value or simply your favourite car to which you want to offer the best possible protection. If you have fully comprehensive insurance, you can usually count on compensation payments from the insurance company in the event of vandalism damage and accidents for which you are responsible**. More protection is not possible. The best way to find out detailed information on conditions and rates is to contact the insurer of your choice directly, as nexible does not currently offer fully comprehensive insurance rates.


You have decided in favour of a motor vehicle liability insurance and want to conclude this with nexible? Perfect. Here we will explain how you can calculate your premium and take out your new liability policy.



* The nexible motor vehicle liability auto insurance is a product of the risk carrier nexible Versicherung AG

**Insurance benefits may vary from policy to policy, therefore we cannot make any general statements on insurance benefits outside nexible’s offering.